I invited our team in Mansmith and Fielders Inc to share some of the marketing trends and insights they expect to happen more in 2020 and each shared one major point. I have included mine last.
- Chiqui Escareal-Go, Chief Behavioral Strategist – Purpose, including brand purpose will increasingly become center of strategy, not as an add on. As consumers become more aware, they want brands and companies to be authentic, more intentional AND relevant in creating programs that are good for people and the planet.
- Rowen Untivero, Chief Sales Strategist – Account-situation strategy, using an analytical tool to identify business-to-business opportunity while also considering organizational dynamics to determine winning account strategy and avoid resorting to price tactics.
- Emilio Macasaet, Chief Channel Marketing Strategist – Disintermediation, the removal of intermediaries in the distribution channel, will make greater strides in quest for more efficient Route-To-Market (RTM) models with serious implications to distributors, wholesalers, and retailers who have been fossilized by the old frameworks. Most companies will narrowly focus on directly serving customers that matter most to them (versus casting wide nets on a red ocean) through effective segmentation, customized offerings, and channel management capabilities.
- Malu Dybuncio, Chief Business Development Strategist – Greater need for soft skills development in marketing organizations. Organizations will increasingly need to teach their junior executives and workforce how to work in teams, manage and lead, as more and more of those comfortable in a virtual/digital world reach higher levels of responsibility. Management and Leadership skills and processes will also need to be adapted to deal with remote offices and a workforce with less face to face interaction.
- Donald Lim, Chief Digital Strategist – Esports will start to become an attractive medium as more eyeballs shift to watching esports via facebook live and twitch, and casual players drive social media conversations and views. Ecommerce is also expected to become part of a brand manager’s portfolio as it closes the entire marketing to sales loop. Finally, customer data acquisition and data mining will become an important discipline as brands start hiring data miners and engineers.
- Albet Buddahim, Chief Marketing Capability Strategist – Hybrid of Marketing + IT/Tech talents will be a competitive advantage for businesses who are playing to win as marketers will relearn how to truly leverage Facebook, Google and CRM technologies to be a key enabler to shift from short-term awareness metric into a long-term Customer Lifetime Value (CLV).
- Quennie Cua, Chief Brand Strategist – Simplicity and Connectivity will be a branding trend in 2020. Simplicity in the form of Logo Adaptability (logo and short forms that works with any medium format) and Blandified Branding (easily recognizable whatever background you put in). Connectivity in perception and access. Being perceived as authentic where one can relate to and accessible, eg. use of Shoppable Ads, Online Chat so customers can connect to you anytime.
- Josiah Go, Chief Innovation Strategist – Increasing mindfulness about sustainability in the circular economy. The key driver will largely be economic as companies will try to comply with requirements of major global customers. Later, the competitors of the early adopters will be forced to adopt similar practices, less they become obsolete.
Catch 15 CEOs LIVE (rare appearance, rare insight sharing) at the 11th Mansmith Market Masters Conference, happening on March 18, 2020 at Resorts World Manila. Visit www.marketmastersconference.com.