Right to Win, Play to Win:
I have been changing the content little by little that a past participant would not recognize the same seminar a few years after. In celebration of my 100th public batch, ‘Marketing Strategy and Plans’, the longest-running marketing strategy seminar in the Philippines will be reinvented with ALL NEW cases with a new title ‘Right to Win, Play to Win: The Best of Marketing Decision Making’.
I will be introducing a new Right to Win, Play to Win quadrant to help marketers, business owners and executives determine where they are, and what they can do. In the process of preparing a marketing strategy to win in the marketplace, I will share practical ways to choose the appropriate marketing strategy instead of costly trial-and-error.
Marketing Choice Architect:
I envision marketers to think like architects, designing a solid foundation first before hyping on a campaign.
Marketing choice architecture, or carefully designed decision options in which marketers make choices, will be introduced in order to help marketers be updated and simplify their decision making by using the right tools, criteria, templates and frameworks as choice architects in formulating and executing the right marketing strategies and tactics to attain a three-way strategic win.
5 Inter-related Marketing Topics:
I will be sharing five different but inter-related topics relevant to contemporary marketing.
All New Cases:
I have also prepared dozens and dozens of cases, both classic and contemporary, local and international, to help learning. At the end of each topic will be reflection exercises to apply learning.
Cases from the following countries shall be shared generously: Philippines, Brazil, Germany, India, Japan, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, UK, USA.
I personally designed this for all existing and aspiring marketers who would like to review or master marketing.
For me, marketing should not be limited to the marketing department. Top management must understand marketing before approving the budget. They will find this a refreshing break from their routines.
It is best to bring the entire team for immediate alignment. There is a 5+1 team discount and they shall be seated together for immediate application of the learnings to their company’s situation for on-the-spot mentoring.
I am sharing the new outline way ahead of time. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org or log on to www.mansmith.net to enroll directly. If you have attended MSP before and would like to attend this ‘Right to Win, Play to Win’ version, please mention this in your email so you can get a free gift.
RIGHT TO WIN, PLAY TO WIN All New Josiah Go’s 100th Marketing Strategy and Plans
The best of marketing decision making
Benefits to company:
• Improve capacity of the company’s leadership to take marketing people with them to the next level.
• Understand whether the category they are in has the ‘right to win’ vis-a-vis how to ‘play to win’.
• Apply extra learning from dozens of other industries, carefully chosen to balance classic and contemporary, local and international case examples.
Benefits to individuals:
• Discover how to become a choice architect in marketing rather than having an idea popping out from nowhere.
• Improve productive use of time by understanding marketing decision sequence and options
• Interact with other marketers to practice social sensemaking in group exercises.
Day 1 Session 1: Marketing Strategy Simplified Choice Architecture
• Right to win vis-a-vis Play to win framework and cases
• 4 options to play in the marketplace: Key Lesson from ‘Crazy Rich Asians’
o How to use outdoor media to create excitement and turnaround a brand
o How to exploit forthcoming national event for viral campaign
o How to make a boring commodity cool again
o How to convert crisis into opportunity
• Cases in mobile phone service, paper, spreadables, and sardines
Session 2: The Right to Win Choice Architecture
•. Critical lessons setting the foundation of marketing choice architecture
• Opportunity-Seeking Choice Architecture
o Pain hunting – Pain healing
o 2 major types of opportunities
o 3 steps to thin slice opportunity feasibility in 2 minutes
• Cases in dressed chicken, consumer durable, automotive industry, pharmaceutical, sardines, coffee, co-working space, shirts, mourning services, mutual funds, and appliance retailing
Session 3: Understanding Customers Choice Architecture
• 2 Legs Framework: Consumer Insighting and The Big Idea
o Insighting iceberg
o 12 ways to find consumer insights
o Understanding the importance of chain of meaning
o Criteria for good insighting and real big idea: The Big Idea, The Big Story, The Big Emotions
• Target Market (Served or Unserved Market)
o 3 things wrong with traditional segmentation methods
o What our last Spain vacation taught me about target market and consumer choice
o Digital versus point of sale choices
o The latest market segmentation based on consumer decision making instead of traditional market segmentation methods
o 2 major segments to decide (today vs tomorrow), what traditional stratplan still doesn’t get!
• Understanding consumer behavioral economics
• How consumers buy
o Understanding buying behavior (consumer vs. BTB). Tip: marketing mix does not directly influence consumer choice!
o 3 major biases of consumers
o 2 ways consumers cope in decision making (How consumers think)
o How emotions affect consumer choice
o 2 ways to persuade customers that can really increase sales
• Cases in detergents, soft drinks, direct sales, multi-vitamin, resto, underarm protection, shampoo, beer, manufacturing, travel, real estate, camera, department store, supermarket, fund raising, anti-obesity campaign, IT, drugstores, advertising, packaging, condiment, chemicals distribution, premium ice cream, pizza, chocolates, and digital strategy
Day 2 Session 4: Assembling The Company’s Offer Choice Architecture
•Doing deep dive to know what business you are really in
• What is Value Proposition?
o 3 indispensable lessons on value proposition and customer relationship marketers can learn from marriage counsellors
o 3 steps to create compelling value proposition (with 9 ready menu options to choose from)
o 3 criteria of a compelling value proposition
o 3 tests if you have compelling value proposition
• Pricing Strategy
o 3 fundamentals about price
o 3 imperatives to price right
o 3 success strategies not to reduce price
o 3 secrets to handle price objections
o How to be more profitable even at lower prices
• Cases in lodging, blood test, mild detergent, convenience store, airline, battery, malls, electronics, cars, and consumer health, satellite TV, luxury bed and ice cream
• Innovation Choice Architecture
o 2 elements of innovation
o 3 major types of innovation: When to do what
o Insighting to innovate
o 5 ways to innovate on demand
o Innovating in an omni channel (digital + retail) marketing trend
o Cases in ice cream, agribusiness, detergent, banking, Japanese food, entertainment, consumer loan, jeans, apparel, retail
o 2 major biases of most CEOs
o 3 major biases of most marketing managers
o 2 biases of most brand managers
o How to overcome biases of bosses
o 4 steps to be the simplifier of choice
o Digital Marketing Strategy
Mobile to Physical
Social Media to Physical
o Innovating marketing communication (brand association, social media, rural market, and symbolism)
o 4Ss to evaluate marketing strategy
o Cases in footwear, luggage, training, awards, water purifiers, trucks, chocolates, hotels, museum, noodles, sports shoes, food supplements, shoes and advocacy
o Offense vs Defense marketing: What the 2016 elections can teach us about winning elections
o Digital Strategy
Using a digital business model as an innovative challenger strategy
6 steps to counter scale advantage of market leaders digitally
Defensive marketing communication in political campaign
o Understanding consumer’s trust
Artificial intelligence and trust in digital age
4 traits of trustworthiness
o Cases in entertainment, cold tablets, eye wear, personal care, hair care, underwear and payment gateway
Session 5: Execution Choice Architecture
• 5 barriers to effective execution
• 4 pillars to convert strategy to action
• Cases in chicken, supply chain, retail and online
Conclusion: Putting it all Together
• Summary and integrating lessons: Marketing and choice architecture
• Enhancing skills for mastery
Record-breaking, bestselling author Josiah Go is the Chairman of Mansmith and Fielders, Inc. (the leading marketing and sales training company in the Philippines), and Chairman of Waters Philippines (the market leader in the direct selling of premium home water purifiers in the Philippines). He is Chairman / Vice Chairman / Director of over a dozen companies.