- Uncanny skills in identifying white space opportunities in the marketplace with unmet needs.
- Determination to take calculated risks to launch a new category.
- Ability to understand behaviors and tap new customers instead of relying on existing customers.
- Instinct to launch category killers instead of brand switching tactics, hence, creating real value instead of mere value transfer in the marketplace.
- Clarity and single-mindededness in one major advantage while being just enough in other aspects of the company’s offer.
Taipan John Gokongwei passed away last Nov. 9, 2019. I have been studying his life and following his companies, decoding a pattern where he had courageously been launching many industry’s firsts — lessons many marketers and entrepreneurs can learn from. Most marketers practice market-driven strategies, i.e., satisfying customers to gain market shares. John Gokongwei, on the other hand practiced market-driving strategies— focusing on tapping noncustomers to gain market penetration, revealing his consistent pioneering spirit in driving new categories. Market-driving strategists like John Gokongwei are not ordinary marketers. I have observed the following patterns: